The officers of the Northwest Area Command are hosting “Coffee with a Cop” this Tuesday, January 24 at 9:00 a.m., Donut Mart, 3301 Coors NW. This is a great opportunity to ask questions, share concerns, and enjoy a complimentary cup of joe! For more information, visit: https://www.cabq.gov/police/events/coffee-with-a-cop-nw-2
Congratulations to our very own Seven Bar North resident and volunteer, Dubra Karnes Padilla!
Influencer of the Year Award: Dubra Karnes-Padilla
This award is presented to a member of the CHD community who has gone above and beyond to spread the word about CHD and the need for lifelong care—an outreach aficionado.
Dubra, a member of the Patient and Family Advisory Board (PFAB), reached far in her networks and beyond to spread the word about ACHA and CHD both regionally and nationally. One way she did this is through her role as co-chair of the Public Policy and Advocacy Committee on the PFAB. Dubra was an active participant in ACHA’s Virtual Advocacy Day in May. She also spread awareness in multiple ways during Heart Month, including securing a CHD Awareness Week proclamation in her home state of New Mexico, and having a letter published in the Santa Fe New Mexican.
Dubra also interacted with many through her involvement in ACHA events throughout 2022. She participated in the Virtual Arizona Regional Conference in March by sharing her story, and also letting the audience know that she is available for further support if needed. During the Virtual National Conference in June, Dubra was a featured speaker in the “How to Bring ACHA into Your Community” general session. She also co-led her Regional Conversations session and reported back on next steps in this general session. We look forward to supporting Dubra in her future outreach efforts!
We are saddened by the passing of C. Jack Emmons CPA CFE, our Finance Chair and Board Treasurer. His tenure with the Board was brief, but his service was invaluable. He will be greatly missed.
Please visit Charles Jack Emmons Jr Obituary 2022 – Daniels Family Funerals & Cremation (danielsfuneral.com) to view the obituary.
Westside Boulevard Widening
1. LED lights like those installed on Westside almost always result in complaints about how bright they are. They have been tested using a gun-like device that measures light intensity and none have recorded a measurement that exceeded standards.
Deflectors – there is discussion about putting deflectors on the lights that will result in the light just hitting the base of the wall. They are trying to determine the size and angle of deflectors that would result in limiting the light to just Westside and not the adjoining backyards/homes.
2. The contractor has placed black weed barrier in between the sidewalk and the street. This should really reduce the weed problem in the future. The barrier was put in at the contractor’s expense; it was not a requirement in the city contract.
Stones will eventually be placed over the weed barrier. The contractor is seeking city approval for the size of the stone to be used. City has not yet approved the stone size.
3. There is a large box being installed at the west side of Sierrita and Westside. This will be the controller for the irrigation in the median.
4. Installation of the sidewalk has exposed the foundation of our wall in some locations. If it remained exposed, it could undermine the wall’s foundation. The contractor has put in a small wall and filling the area between the new wall and our HOA wall with concrete to protect our wall’s foundation. It extends about 250 feet west from Sierrita.
5. Median plantings – unknown when they will be planted. Our city rep is pushing to have the plantings done within 2 weeks following completion of the road, but there is some question whether she can come up with the money. If the money is not available now, it could take as long as 2-years for the money to become available.
The construction is proceeding as planned. The project is scheduled to be completed in October 2023.
New Car Wash
A car wash will be going in on Golf Course just north of the Wintergreen Apartments.
Circle K on Southeast Corner of Golf Course and Westside
Currently the project design for the Circle K project is on HOLD. When the project moves forward the goal is to be under construction by late summer 2023. The intent is to proceed with a Circle K. It is unknown how long the hold will be for.
The City is dedicated to hearing from community members and tailoring sustainability projects to meet the public’s needs and expectations. The first Climate Action Plan Implementation Community Engagement meeting will focus on energy efficiency and include updates on related projects as well as opportunities for the public to provide input. The public will hear from City staff and key partners, including local utilities. The last 20 minutes are reserved for public feedback. The meeting takes place via Zoom on Wednesday, September 28 at 5:00 p.m. To register, visit: https://cabq.zoom.us/j/83896527265?pwd=dzZkeDUra3ZCaVRub2UrUi80K2Vrdz09#success