Simple steps to make your property “a tough nut to crack.”
Crime studies have shown time and time again that burglars prefer easy targets – ones they can get in and out of quickly. They avoid harder targets, like well-lit homes with a security system in use, homes with nosy neighbors or security cameras watching, and those that give appearance that someone is home. Here are some simple steps to keep thieves from giving your home a second look:
- Light up all entryways around your home.
- Remove any spare keys that are hidden outside of your home.
- Make sure to lock all windows and doors to your home and vehicles.
- Remove all belongings from vehicles that are left outside, even when you are home.
- If you have an alarm, use it.
- Put some interior lights on timers to give the appearance you are at home.
In addition to following these safety tips, another way to help keep our neighborhoods safe and crime-free is through our Neighborhood Watch Program. If you are interested in participating or becoming a volunteer Block Captain, please let us know by emailing: BlockCaptain7BarNorth@gmail.com